CAAC is dedicated to our youths EducationalEconomicEmotional Development & Involvment
“We made it!” was the joyful expression of excitement from the 20 chartering members of the Cerritos Area Alumnae Chapter. After 4 years of planting seeds, making plans, creating goals and visions, as well as reclaiming a significant number of sorors in the area, the Deltas of Cerritos became chapter #931, Cerritos Area Alumnae Chapter, with much fanfare.
During the years of building the chapter, what started with a handful of sorors active in various local chapters and inactive sorors wanting to bring the power of the DST to the local Cerritos community where most resided, the vision finally became a reality. Fundraising efforts took the form of participation in the annual July 4th Let Freedom Ring celebration in Cerritos where the group manned a food booth selling sweet potato pies and pickles one year and other snacks the next. They took advantage of the opening of the new Metro Green Line with a booth, selling popsicles. The funds raised and the number of sorors finally achieved the goals required to charter the chapter.
On May 1, 1999 Soror Doris Britt, the Farwest Regional Director, presided over the ceremony that was held at the beautiful new Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts and attended by sorors from throughout the area. Soror Britt was assisted by Soror Jerilyn King Brown of Orange County Alumnae, the keynote address was brought by Soror Jennie Green, also of Orange County Alumnae at the time. Immediately following the ceremony, the first executive board was elected, the first formal chapter meeting took place, and the rest is herstory.
We are a Public Service organization focusing on programs & projects geared towards the African- American community that fall under our five-point programmatic thrust:
- Economic Development
- Educational Development
- International Awareness and Involvement
- Physical & Mental Health Awareness
- Political Awareness and Involvement
The Cerritos Area Alumnae Chapter was proudly chartered on May 1, 1999 by 21 sorors dedicated to bringing the sorority’s mission into the community. The communities we serve consist of 9 cities: Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs and Whittier. Although our chapter started with 21 sorors, after 20 years in THIS community, we have grown to over 80 members and continue to grow each year. We strive to create innovative, creative and effective programs which incorporate the 5 programmatic thrusts listed above.
Some of our most successful programs are;
- Our youth programs – Delta Academy, Delta GEMS and EMBODI which focus on mentorship and education for youths aged 11 through 18.
- Raising and providing over $100,000 in Scholarship monies given to graduating high school seniors and book scholarships for continuing college students.
- Our Social Action events which include Voter Education, Voter Registration and participation in the City of Cerritos’ Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration.
- International Awareness Program – 20 Years of raising funds and donating to the Eternal Word Ministries, a Christian school in the Iwo state of Nigeria.
- Other programs – Shoe giveaways, School supply giveaways, Meals, Christmas gifts for underserved families, Economic Empowerment seminars, Breast Cancer and AIDS Health fairs & Walkathons… just to name a few!
If you are a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., looking for a chapter that you can call “HOME”, please come visit and join us! You will be welcomed with open arms – Our National President Soror Beverly Smith has given us a theme of “Joy in Our Sisterhood, Power in Our Voice and Service in Our Heart.” Here in CAAC, we take this theme to heart and try to live it each and every day.
If you are not a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., please feel free to browse the site to learn more about our public programs, events and upcoming fundraisers, which help us continue to provide for our community. Join us, we appreciate your support!
Thank you for visiting our website. Feel free to browse around, visit our site often and hope to see you in person soon!