The History of the Cerritos Area Alumnae Chapter
“We made it!” was the joyful expression of excitement from the 20 chartering members of the Cerritos Area Alumnae Chapter. After 4 years of planting seeds, making plans, creating goals and visions, as well as reclaiming a significant number of sorors in the area, the Deltas of Cerritos became chapter #931, Cerritos Area Alumnae Chapter, with much fanfare.
During the years of building the chapter, what started with a handful of sorors active in various local chapters and inactive sorors wanting to bring the power of the DST to the local Cerritos community where most resided, the vision finally became a reality. Fundraising efforts took the form of participation in the annual July 4th Let Freedom Ring celebration in Cerritos where the group manned a food booth selling sweet potato pies and pickles one year and other snacks the next. They took advantage of the opening of the new Metro Green Line with a booth, selling popsicles. The funds raised and the number of sorors finally achieved the goals required to charter the chapter.
On May 1, 1999 Soror Doris Britt, the Farwest Regional Director, presided over the ceremony that was held at the beautiful new Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts and attended by sorors from throughout the area. Soror Britt was assisted by Soror Jerilyn King Brown of Orange County Alumnae, the keynote address was brought by Soror Jennie Green, also of Orange County Alumnae at the time. Immediately following the ceremony, the first executive board was elected, the first formal chapter meeting took place, and the rest is herstory.
After chartering the Cerritos Area Alumnae chapter, we were dedicated to bringing the sorority’s mission into the community. The community/service area we serve consists of 9 cities; Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs and Whittier. We strive to create innovative, creative and effective programs.
Some of our most successful programs are:
- Our youth programs – Delta Academy, Delta GEMS and EMBODI which focus on mentorship and education for youths aged 11 through 18.
- Raising and providing over $100,000 in Scholarship monies given to graduating High School seniors and book scholarships for continuing college students.
- Our Social Action Events which include Voter Education, Voter Registration and participation in the City of Cerritos’ Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration.
- International Awareness program – 20 Years of raising funds and donating to the Eternal Word Ministries, a Christian school in the IWO state of Nigeria.
- As well as many other programs – Shoe giveaways, School supply giveaways, Meals, Christmas gifts for underserved families, Economic Empowerment seminars, Breast Cancer and AIDS Health fairs & Walkathons… just to name a few!
- Sandra Bridges
- Shirley Davis
- Darylyn Farris
- Yolanda Green
- Venita Jackson Coleman
- Patricia Jernigan
- Ruth Nefertari Johnson
- Anise Jones
- Carla Jones
- Jeannine Jones
- Glodine Kennedy (Omega Omega Chapter)
- Anita McCarty
- Joan Robinson-Berry
- Winona Scott
- Gladys Smith (Omega Omega Chapter)
- Barbara Walker
- Patricia Walker
- Luana Milburn Wesley
- Lillie Williams
- Marsha Woods